Spicy Fish Soup
Original Recipe Yield 4 servings
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can canned green chile peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup shrimp
- 1/2 pound cod fillets
- 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Spray a large saucepan with the vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Then add the chicken broth, chile peppers and cumin, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, shrimp and cod. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the yogurt until heated through.
Now, of course I did do some changes....I didn't like 5 oz of shelled raw shrimp; the large can of chopped chiles, 1.5 cups of ROTEL tomatoes (for add'l spice) and I cooked the bell pepper (used yellow) with the onion. I am not sure I like the flakey cod in the soup and might try scallops or some seafood medly (scallops, shrimp, calamari) next time.
I calcualted it to be about 8 pts for the whole recipe. Of course, points would vary depending on fish/seafood used and other items added. With such low points, you could easily add a bit of bread. Delish!!!