The Road to One-derland!!!

Monday, March 14, 2011

New Soup Recipe from the Soup Queen

Okay, I loooove soup.  I seem to be making at least one batch of soup each week.  I get daily emails from ALLRECIPES and this particular soup really caught my eye.  Its a spicy fish soup.  Well, I love fish/seafood and Bex loves her soup spicy, so it was defintely one to try soon.  Here it is:  Spicy Fish Soup 

Spicy Fish Soup
Original Recipe Yield 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 (4 ounce) can canned green chile peppers, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup shrimp
  • 1/2 pound cod fillets
  • 3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt

Directions

  1. Spray a large saucepan with the vegetable cooking spray over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder and saute for 2 more minutes.
  2. Then add the chicken broth, chile peppers and cumin, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. Next, add the tomatoes, green bell pepper, shrimp and cod. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. Gradually stir in the yogurt until heated through.

Now, of course I did do some changes....I didn't like 5 oz of shelled raw shrimp; the large can of chopped chiles, 1.5 cups of ROTEL tomatoes (for add'l spice) and I cooked the bell pepper (used yellow) with the onion.  I am not sure I like the flakey cod in the soup and might try scallops or some seafood medly (scallops, shrimp, calamari) next time. 

I calcualted it to be about 8 pts for the whole recipe.  Of course, points would vary depending on fish/seafood used and other items added.  With such low points, you could easily add a bit of bread.  Delish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment