The Road to One-derland!!!

Monday, October 10, 2011

Healthier food choices

I've really been trying to consume fewer processed items.   Who really knows what those unpronounceable chemicals are doing or will do to our bodies???  I recently came across a recipe on one of my new favorite recipe blogs, Mom Vs Food , for a Pumpkin Pie Latte Creamer.  I have made it twice so far. Not only is it yummy, but it saves me mega calories, fat and processed chemically store-bought stuff.  The second time I made it, I substituted Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla milk for the regular non-fat milk for even further calorie savings.  

Pumpkin Pie Latte Creamer

1 cup half and half
1 cup milk ***
2 TBSP pumpkin puree
1 TBSP* agave nectar or raw sugar ( I don't drink coffee sweet, no sugar when I have regular Joe)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, or allspice (or other favorite fall spice blend)
fresh grated nutmeg or pinch of dried nutmeg to taste

Mix ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until edges just begin to lightly bubble, whisking constantly.

Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container and shake well before use. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

***  I used Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla milk

*You may want to add more to account for personal taste. Add sweetener 1 TBSP at a time to the warm cream mixture and taste. You may also substitute your favorite artificial sweetener. 

No comments:

Post a Comment